Race Course Map and River Traffic Patterns
Traffic Patterns for Practice on Thursday
Conventional Schuylkill River traffic patterns apply:
Crews launching from Boathouse Row
- Row up the west side, down the east side (Boathouse Row, the Athlete’s Village and Canoe Club are on the east side).
Crews launching from the Athlete’s Village
(you cannot launch from here before noon on Thursday)
- Launch with bows facing downstream towards Boathouse Row.
- Proceed downriver and turn around at any point it is safe to do so. Note that Schuylkill Navy Rules of the River prohibit any turning within 100 meters of a bridge.
- Going upriver, pass on the west side of Peters Island above the finish line.
- Go downriver only on the east side. The middle of the river, including lane 6 on the race course, is “No Man’s Water”, a safety zone between upriver and downriver traffic.
- To return to the Athlete’s Village, come down from the finish line on the east side.
- In summary: Launch and return with bow facing downriver. Stay to port. Make all turns to starboard. Row up the west side, down the east side (the boathouses, the Athlete’s Village and Canoe Club are on the east side).
Traffic Patterns During the Regatta
Crews launching from Boathouse Row or the Athlete’s Village
- Observe standard Schuylkill Navy traffic patterns going upriver along west shore
- Stay to west shore until the 2000 meter starting line
- Do not course the race course at any point for any reason
- Upon arriving at the 2000 meter start, the marshalls will direct you either into the chute for your time trial or race or upriver to the warm-up area
- After completing your time trial or race, row well beyond the finish line to below Columbia Bridge and proceed to Boathouse Row or the Athlete’s Village keeping to the east or port shore.
Crews launching from the Canoe Club or Gillin Boathouse
Only designated crews may launch from the Canoe Club and only St. Joseph’s Prep may launch from Gillin Boathouse
- Launching: All boats will proceed upriver on the east side to the marshalling area above the 2000 meter start. No crossing of the race course is permitted.
- Recovery: All boats will return on the east side in lane 0, being careful not to interfere with any racing crews. No crossing of the race course is permitted.
SEMI-FINALS & FINALS
- Launching: All boats will proceed upriver thru the bridge, then turn just above the bridge and cross to the west side between races, without interfering in a race in progress or about to start. They will then proceed upriver to the marshalling area above the 2000 meter start.
- Recovery: All boats will return on the west side to above Peter’s Island, then cross to the east side
without interfering in a race in progress at the direction of the marshal. From there they must stay close to the east wall and well clear of lane 1.